Major Call Of Duty Tournament Delayed Twice After Separate Bomb Threats [Updating]

Image credit: MLG

The Call of Duty World League Dallas tournament was put on hold twice this weekend due to two separate bomb threats, one on the opening day of the event and the second on finals day Sunday.

Update [12/10, 5:10 p.m. ET]: Sunday, matches were put on hold as officials on-site evacuated the building. According to a team at the event, it was due to a second bomb threat. Some players have already been told to go to back their rooms.


MLG’s Adam Apicella issued a quick statement on Twitter.

Update [12/10, 5:37 p.m. ET]: MLG has stated that the tournament has received the all-clear to resume the competition.

Original story follows.

On Friday, officials on-site evacuated the the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center. According to the city of Dallas, the Dallas Police Department received a “call about a bomb threat” there.


Local TV reporter Rebecca Lopez says that a security guard called Dallas police, which had separately received a bomb threat:


MLG, the organizer of the Call of Duty event, and Vitality, and one of the teams competing, both posted short statements saying that the event is delayed and that the current plan is to eventually resume play.

The Dallas Open is the first major event of the 2018 Call of Duty season, bringing many major teams to Texas.


At least some of the gamers on site aren’t too traumatized, as a few are spending the delay making themselves into a dick to go with festive lawn ornament balls for the news.


Update [9:06 p.m. ET]: MLG has announced that the tournament will not resume this evening and will continue as scheduled tomorrow morning.


The Dallas police are currently still searching the convention center.

Update [10:12 p.m. ET]: The Dallas police department says it has completed a search of the convention center and “determined there were no explosive devices.”


Share This Story

About the author

Eric Van Allen

Freelance writer, Dota enthusiast, Texan.